Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Three visits to the Peabody Hotel

Last Saturday, I met several urban sketchers on the roof of the Peabody Hotel. We drew all morning. It was the third time I have sketched at the Peabody. The first time I used only an ink pen. The second time I used an ink pen and some gray Faber-Castell artist pens. Last week I experimented with brown and blue Stabilo point 88 pens and a water brush that I got at the Art Center. I have been drawing in sketch books for over 40 years. I found out about the Memphis Urban Sketchers 3 years ago. Since then I have filled 20 more sketch books and gone to the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Barcelona. Today, I am going to become a real urban sketcher because I am posting some of my drawings on the internet for the first time. This is a big step for me because it is the first time I am connected to the internet. According to my son, this is due to my belief that the internet would damage my artistic soul, killing my desire to do anything but surf the web.  My son hopes I've overcome my fear and finally stepped into the 21st century.

where I entered the hotel

where the taxis wait

the lobby
drinking in the lobby
working in the lobby
meeting in the lobby
waiting for the ducks
looking up to the mezzanine

one half of the fountain
the other half of the fountain
looking down at the ducks from the mezzanine
on the roof looking toward Arkansas
on the roof looking toward the bridge


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tom: your son is right. I guarantee the internet will not destroy creativity like yours. Great sketches - keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark--- I am working on some more posts as we speak.

      Delete