Saturday, November 6, 2010

Elmwood Cemetery


Great weather today at Elmwood Cemetery--sunshine and cool weather. I used walnut ink over pencil to make this sketch of a family plot, focusing on the graves of three children. I'm on the fence about the funky way some of my perspective worked out on the double-plot, but really enjoyed working with a brush. I was really attracted to the little stone birds on the scroll, especially seeing how weathered they were. It wasn't until I was almost finished with the sketch that I realized that the barely legible inscription closest to the foreground was LP, my daughter's initials. That was a spooky momento mori moment. I spent about 45 minutes on this--I hope Urban Sketchers Memphis helps me pick up speed in my observational drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment