Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Drawing at the National Gallery in London


While visiting England in May of 2013, I had a chance to visit the National Gallery. I went with a sketchbook and Dewent watersoluble ink pencils. Instead of trying to look at every painting, I spent my time sketching a few and seeing more. I used a water brush occasionally and no one seemed to mind.



Seurat's  "Bathers at Asnieres" is very calm with lots of blue and touches of orange that glow, I located most of the oranges in my sketch.


Degas' "Portrait of Elena Carafa" looks much younger than my sketch, less jowls. 


A fragment of a fragment of Manet's painting inspired by Goya's "The Third of May 1808"































Only when I started drawing did I notice the bridge and small boat in Turner's train painting.  I read later that there's a rabbit in this painting, but I didn't see it.











Uccello's horses look like they could have galloped in from a Disney cartoon.




















I stood to the side so I could better see the skull in Holbein's "The Ambassadors."

The right side of Cezanne's bathers attracted my attention, especially the figure on the far right. Why was she so thin?

No comments:

Post a Comment